5 Tips For Reaching Your Off Season Goales
Successful training during the off season is on the minds of many, but truly accomplished by only a few. Why? Because most players start out well intended with plenty of motivation and skills to work on, but as the days and weeks go by they get distracted and the priority to practice falls off.
So what can you do to make the most out of your off season training? Here are 5 tips that will help you stick to your plan, accomplish your goals and improve your skills:
- Make a plan. Failing to plan is planning to fail. In order to succeed you need to write down the specific skills that you want to improve on, how often you plan to work on them and the drills and workouts that will keep you on task. This first step is very important so make sure to commit your plan to pen and paper.
- Make it convenient. With the great variety of training aids available it’s easier than ever to create a personal training area in your home, garage or backyard. Statistics show that people who have access to workout facilities in their home are far more likely to train on a regular basis than if you have to leave the house. Make this the year you create your own personal training area!
- Make it fun. Train with a friend. Turn up the music. Create games based on the skills that you are working on, such as ‘around the world’ on a shooting tarp. There are days when you won’t feel like training, but those days are the most important to stick to your schedule. Find creative ways to keep it fun and you will be much more likely to maintain your routine and schedule.
- Make it last. Dedicate yourself to a schedule by week and month. Set goals and mile markers where you can evaluate your progress and adjust your training based on accomplishments. A commitment to training from the start is your ticket to longevity and taking your game to the next level.
- Make it happen! Often times the biggest hurdle to training is to quit thinking about it and actually taking the first step and making a plan and following through. The time is now to make it happen because while you are thinking about it, there is another player out there working hard and doing it!
As we’ve talked about in previous blog posts, every player wants to be a winner. Every player wants to score the winning goal and take home the hardware. However it takes many hours of training and practice to prepare to perform in the biggest moments. Are you willing to do what it takes this summer to take your game to the next level?
Remember, always work hard and dream bigger than everyone else!